[Mimedefang] SMTP Error codes and phrases

Richard Cooper ric at digital-animations.com
Tue Oct 29 06:15:01 EST 2002

I use 550 Spam Block - I don't really know much about the codes, although 550 seems pretty standard - but my thinking on the message was that I'd rather they know they reason for blocking. I don't think it gives any advantage to spammers (although I'm open to suggestions) yet it gives at least some info to anyone accidentally blocked wrongly (or sending legitimate mail to ex-employees, etc) whilst also letting spammers know that it is a legitimate block. Its not exactly something I spent ages contemplating, but that was my gut instinct.

Cheers
Ric