[Mimedefang] how to use _only_ SpamAssassin w/ mimedefang

Richard Cooper ric at digital-animations.com
Tue Oct 29 06:08:01 EST 2002

I'm running on FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE and I simply installed it from the port as that pulls in pretty much all the perl modules plus spamassassin automatically (love those ports). If you're going to run anti-virus its better to install that first so it is detected during the port install, but even if you don't its easy to add (just don't do a make clean on the port so you can recompile and you have to delete the config.cache file to enable it to find anything new - or at least reset the appropriate options). The only other thing it doesn't pull in is p5-html-parser but if you need that simply install it from the ports.

For config options and how to actually get it up and running you couldn't do better than Mickey Hill's excellent HOWTO - http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/. The port lets you skip most of the installs but you need to rebuild sendmail.cf from the .mc file and it talks you through the mimedefang filter.

The other thing I forgot last time which caused me great consternation was to cp the mimedefang.sh-sample file to mimedefang.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to get mimedefang to actually run :).

Hope that's of some help. I have to say that for me, with the FreeBSD port system its a no-brainer.

Cheers
Ric