[Mimedefang] Re: MIMEDefang survey...

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Mon Oct 28 17:32:01 EST 2002

At 12:54 PM 10/28/2002, mimedefang-request at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:
>1) Does anyone actually use MIMEDefang in non-multiplexor mode?  I want
>to drop support for this in mimedefang.c

Nope.

>2) Does anyone use OpenAntiVirus?  I want to drop support for it.

Yes, although only as a secondary to File::Scan.  OAV catches a few here
and there, but that may just be because FS knows the 3 or 4 viruses that
make up most of the traffic.

>I take no stand :-) on anti-virus products.  What I need is a way to
>detect OpenAV at "configure" time.  What's the name of the OpenAV
>daemon?  Where does it normally install itself?

IIRC it doesn't really have an installer, just a zip file you can place
anywhere.  I'm using /usr/local/openantivirus, but I don't think there's a
standard location.  I suppose you could search the /usr tree for
ScannerDaemon.jar, but I'd guess the best way to detect it would be to
connect to localhost:8127 and see if it responds, maybe with an option to
configure that lets you specify the host and port to check.

Kelson Vibber
SpeedGate Communications, Technical Staff
kelson at speed.net          Phone: (949) 341-0800
http://www.speed.net/     FAX:   (949) 341-0900