OpenAV (was RE: [Mimedefang] MIMEDefang survey...)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Oct 28 16:23:04 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Stuart Sheldon wrote:

> OpenAV runs as a java app... As stupid as it sounds, you could do something
> equivalent to:
> ps -ef | grep ScannerDaemon.jar | grep -v grep
> in perl...

:-)

Ouch!  "ps" is already non-portable; I shudder to think of trying to
do that in Perl.

My compromise solution is to keep OpenAV support, but to default the
$Features{'Virus:OpenAV'} entry to 0.  If you know you have OpenAV, you
know better than to trust $Features :-)

(I dunno, the whole concept of a virus-scanner written in Java just sounds
odd to me...)