[Mimedefang] Best method of dealing with automatic - propagationvirus mails

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Mon Oct 28 10:43:01 EST 2002

On Mon Oct 28 2002 at 13:06, "Edward Wildgoose" wrote:

> I really think that the only thing worth doing with Viruses these
> days is to reject, ie DROP the SMTP connection before accepting
> the message (if possible).  Otherwise accept the message, then
> drop it into quarantine and ONLY notify the recipient.

I wouldn't even bother to do that, why would the recipient care?  In
the end this only adds to the problem (and the confusion, especially
with forged sender addresses).

The email was not really intended for the final recipient(s) anyway,
since it was generated by a bogus - it shouldn't even exist in the
first place (in a "perfect" world).

The best way to treat a virus is to simply refuse to accept it (and
then let the remote box deal with the bounce problem).  However it
is (usually) impossible to discover if a message is infected until
it has been accepted and the filtering started, during which your
filter might have decided to quarantine it - again, an
administrative hassle since in the end they will need to be deleted
to prevent disk clutter :)

They are a gohdamn nusiance, no matter which way you look at it :)

Cheers
Tony