[Mimedefang] Recipe Question

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Sun Oct 27 13:20:01 EST 2002

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
> Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 10:02 AM
> To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
> Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Recipe Question
>
> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this only stop mail
> originating from a MUA on a Korean box?  Even though I've received a
lot
> of junk mail from Korea and other foreign countries in foreign
languages,
> by far the most mail I get from those same countries are open
relay/proxy
> spam.  This type of filter should do nothing to help that.
>
> I'd recommend you look into country DNSBLs.  This is where
SpamAssassin
> comes in handy.  Scoring against one of those lookups will get both
> Korean-MUA spam and spam from a relay-raped MTA in Korea.  There are a
> couple country DNSBLs.  The one that I can think of off the top of my
head
> is at
>
> http://www.blackholes.us/
>
> What you can do with the DNSBL or the charset depends on your
userbase. If
> you're a Unv, you can probably only score it at maybe .75.  If your a
> rural Kansas ISP, you can probably score it at 123456789.3 without
much
> fear of backlash, or the national debt if you know what it currently
is.
> :)

I am also using blackholes.us to block IP's that are from China.  The
problem I have, is that I continue to get e-mail which is in some
foreign language which I can't read.  When I run it through Spamcop, it
always comes up as from chinanet.  Not sure how I can stop this.  I
figured maybe if I start looking at the charsets, I can start blocking
some of this spam.