[Mimedefang] Whitelsit Format

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Fri Oct 25 16:14:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Jason KRISCH wrote:

> This is done with the whitelist_from directive. Likewise, a blacklist is
> a list of domain and/or addresses from which email will always be tagged
> as spam.

   Here's a problem with SpamAssassin blacklists:  When SpamAssassin is
called, it (apparently - David, please tell me if I have this wrong) has
no knowledge of the smtp MAIL FROM: address, only the address in the
"From:" headers.  So if they forge the "From:" address, a blacklist may
not work.

   Having said that, there is one entry that will most likely go in our
blacklist: "znoreman*@*.*".  We got hammered by that a few weeks ago, and
because he always appended a randon number to his name, the sendmail
access database was of no help.  In fact, znoreman is the reason I started
looking for a program like MIMEDefang.  So I guess in a perverted kind of
way, I owe him a debt of gratitude :-)

Jim
* James H. McCullars                 I Phone: (256) 824-2610              *
* Director of Systems & Operations   I Fax:   (256) 824-6643              *
* Computer & Network Services        I Internet: mccullj at email.uah.edu    *
* The University of Alabama          I -----------------------------------*
*    in Huntsville                   I                                    *
* Huntsville, AL 35899               I This space for rent - CHEAP!       *