[Mimedefang] mimedefang, spamassassin, multiple domains

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Oct 25 13:30:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Rajesh Bhandari wrote:

> To me, such functionality (using different SA rules for each domain)
> is very desirable, specially on mail hubs.

Another followup:  In my opinion, SpamAssassin configuration files are
the wrong place to do blacklisting and whitelisting for the following
reasons:

1) In the case of blacklisting, the proper time to reject a message
is at the RCPT TO: SMTP command.  At this point in the SMTP transaction,
it is not possible to run SA, because we don't have a message yet.

2) In the case of whitelisting, it's pointless to even run SpamAssassin,
because it's just a waste of CPU power.

So I think the blacklist/whitelist infrastructure should be built around
a database (either SQL or Berkeley DB) outside of SpamAssassin.
Databases are also much easier to deal with from a Web-based interface
than flat-files are.

In my opinion, SA should be used only for one purpose: To detect
probable spam.