[Mimedefang] Which AV package are most people using with Mime Defang?

Clayton, Nik [IT] nik.clayton at citigroup.com
Thu Oct 24 07:22:01 EDT 2002

> From: David F. Skoll [mailto:dfs at roaringpenguin.com]
> I just don't think you need an expensive AV product on the mail server.
> However, if you need tons of desktop licenses anyway, maybe the server
> version gets thrown in for free.

This is apropos, since I'm looking at replacing our backbone AV solution
here.

2 reasons for doing AV before it hits the desktop system.

  1.  If you need to archive your mail flows -- SEC regs pretty much
      make that mandatory now.  By stripping viruses first we reduce the
      amount of mail we need to archive.

      That's also why we do the anti-spam bit on the backbone, instead
      of using something like SpamAssassin Pro on the desktop.

  2.  If you don't trust your desktop AV system and/or backend mail system
      to do the right thing.  Part of our backbone system's role is to
      protect the backend Exchange system from these sorts of threats.

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
  -- The 75 column-ometer
                                             Contributing to the heat death
Global Messaging, 120 Cheapside, x83331      of the universe since 1973.