[Mimedefang] Which AV package are most people using with MimeDefang?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Oct 23 13:02:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nels Lindquist wrote:

> I don't think this is really a fair test. :-)

:-) Yeah, OK.  I concede that.

> Is an open, collaboritive, volunteer model for collecting new viruses
> in the wild and providing timely and effective updates better than an
> equivalent commercial model?  I don't know.

I don't know either, but I doubt it.  Probably a lot of free software
people don't run Windows, so they have very little motivation to update
virus signature databases. :-)  But maybe I'm wrong -- after all, it's
extremely easy to extract a signature from a virus and put it in a database.
A lot of it could probably be automated---set up a honeypot e-mail address
(running MD, of course! :-)) and trap executables.  If you find one that
isn't in the virus signature database, alert an operator who can check it
out.  This is something that can very easily be distributed.