[Mimedefang] Personal Whitelists

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Wed Oct 23 12:03:00 EDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Jason KRISCH wrote:

> Has anyone figured out a way to have individual user whitelists in a
> system wide / gateway setup that does not have user accounts on the SA /
> MIMEDefang machine?

   I've been toying with the idea of adding something like this to our
directory (LDAP) server.  There are perl modules that will allow a script
to talk to an LDAP server.  You could define an attribute and call it
noSpamCheckFrom and let it have either multiple values (i.e., have more
than one noSpamCheckFrom attribute in a directory entry) or just have one
and let the user put in a comma-separated list.  Then when a message is
received, look up the recipient in LDAP (search on email address), and
from that same entry get the value(s) of the noSpamCheckFrom attribute(s)
and if the sender matches, don't call SpamAssassin.

   There are several issues with this approach that would have to be
worked out.  For example, a person's mail attribute would have to exactly
match the RCPT TO (recipient) address or the lookup would fail.  You would
probably want to limit the number of whitelist addresses a user could
enter.  Finally, there is the issue of a single email message could have
more than one recipient, and whose list of whitelisted addresses would you
use?  You would have to use the stream_by_recipient feature to get around
this.

   HTH...

Jim
* James H. McCullars                 I Phone: (256) 824-2610              *
* Director of Systems & Operations   I Fax:   (256) 824-6643              *
* Computer & Network Services        I Internet: mccullj at email.uah.edu    *
* The University of Alabama          I -----------------------------------*
*    in Huntsville                   I                                    *
* Huntsville, AL 35899               I This space for rent - CHEAP!       *