[Mimedefang] Which AV package are most people using with MimeDefang?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Oct 23 11:12:00 EDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Nels Lindquist wrote:

> You might want to look at H+BEDV Antivir (http://www.hbedv.com).

Has anyone tried this experiment?

- Install ClamAV with the clamd daemon and freshclam.
- Block all the dangerous extensions with MD.
- Wait a month or two and see if *anything* gets past that would have
  been trapped by a commercial virus scanner.

I have my doubts.  I think the (commercial) virus-scanning industry is
a big ripoff, and MD's default filter in combination with clamd is
probably every bit as good as a commercial package.

If I'm wrong, however, I'd be interested to hear about it.