[Mimedefang] mimedefang, spamassassin, multiple domains

Dan Tulovsky dant at wetsnow.com
Wed Oct 23 11:11:01 EDT 2002

Hello.

I have a question about the mimedefang documentation.  The man page for
mimedefang-filter says:

-----------------------
       If  you  have  the  Mail::SpamAssassin   Perl   module   installed
(see
       http://www.spamassassin.org)  you  may  call  any  of the
spam_assassin_*
       functions.  They should only be called from  filter_begin  or
filter_end
       because  they  operate on the entire message at once.  Most functions
use
       an optionally provided config file.   If  no  config  file  is
provided,
       mimedefang.pl  will look for one of three default SpamAssassin
preference
       files.  The first of the following found will be used:

       o      /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf

       o      /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

       o      /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf

I have /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf as my spamassassin config
file.
I also have: /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

as my whitelist file.

According to the man page, only the sa-mimedefang.cf file should be read,
yet my whitelists are working.

I am asking because I want to implement different rules based on different
domains.  The man page for mimedefang-filter says I can call the
spamassassin functions with an argument that is the configuration file name.
So I plan to have a spamassassin configuration file for each domain and call
the spam_assassin_check([ $config_file ]) function depending on what domain
I am working with.

Will I need to put my whitelist directly into the sa-mimedefang.cf file for
this to work?

Any clarification on this issue greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Dan