[Mimedefang] Details on 2.22 heavy-load crash scenario

Evan Cofsky unix at theunixman.com
Fri Oct 18 13:03:00 EDT 2002

> [technical discussion]

Well, that certainly explains it.

> - If you absolutely cannot upgrade MIMEDefang, you can reduce the
> likelihood of the crash by increasing the Settings.clientTimeout.
> The default is 10 seconds; you can increase it with the "-c" option
> to mimdefang-multiplexor.  A setting of 120 should make the crash
> situation extremely unlikely.

120 didn't actually end up being enough time, which is about the time
I wrote the cron job.  But I also think the bad drives were the
culprit there, since there were times when nothing would work at all
for minutes until the disks started responding.  But usually the
system would just need to be rebooted at that point, anyway.

Thanks for the info.  I'll certainly upgrade.

--
How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to Dayton?
                -- UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey, Brian Boyle

Evan Cofsky, President, CEO Pacific Development Group <evan at pacificdev.com>