[Mimedefang] Messages that slip through access db

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Fri Oct 18 10:27:01 EDT 2002

on 10/18/02 7:03 AM, Stefano McGhee at SMcGhee at arcweb.com wrote:

> Thanks Jeff.  So the From: header is the so-called "envelope from" whereas
> the Return- Path: is the real From:?  I did see that earlier, so I added
> theoffers.com.  But for future reference, I should be looking at the
> Return-Path?  Is this all in RFC 821, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol?

Actually, the Return-Path is what is called the "envelope from".  The From
you see in your mail client is strictly cosmetic and anything can be put
there.  Also look at the last received line of the server connecting to you.
The access database will also look there.  There are some ways to limit the
access database to only look at the Return-Path or the received line.  Check
the sendmail documentation for those.

I am not sure about the RFC reference.

Jeff
--