[Mimedefang] Temporary files not deleted

mikep02 at softerware.com mikep02 at softerware.com
Wed Oct 16 15:50:01 EDT 2002

For some reason, none of the temporary files created are being deleted after the
mail is delivered.  Basically, I am left with one temp directory in the
MIMEDefang spool directory for each email that passes through the relay.

The machine running MD is a relay, passing the mail on to another email server.
MD and MD-mplexor as well as sendmail are all running as user xxx, group xxx,
and the MIMEDefand directory is chown xxx.xxx, chmod 700.

Our mail is being delivered fine, but these temp directories are just
accumulating...quickly.  I could easily schedule a script to purge directories
older than a certain age, but would rather be certain there is not some bigger
problem I should be concerned with.

I did have some problems with "filter timeout" errors, but apparently they were
due to uvscan timing out.  I corrected that by adding "--maxfilesize 1" to the
uvscan command line since we do not really need to scan larger attachments.  I
basically want to weed out the little stuff like Klez, etc.  The virus
protection on the workstations and file servers can handle the bigger stuff.

Anyway, after fixing the "filter timeout" problems, I am still left with
numerous temporary directories.

Mike