[Mimedefang] How to use File::Scan?

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ansf.alcatel.fr
Mon Oct 14 13:21:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:11:43AM -0500, Dave Williss wrote:
> I've downloaded and installed File::Scan to use with Mimedefang.
> My question is, how do I actually configure File::Scan?  the documentation
> for it is sparse.
> What does it use for virus definitions and how do you update it?
>
>  -- Dave Williss
Dave,

this is nearly a FAQ :-)
As Jason wrote in the thread "Virus Scanner"

<<
The signatures are part of the perl module itself (download it and look
in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/File/Scan.pm or whatever it would be on
your system - you'll see...), so to update the signatures, you have to
update the perl module.  ie. download it from
http://cpan.perl.org/modules/by-module/File/ or the easy way (if you
have the CPAN module configured):

perl -MCPAN -e 'install File::Scan'

You could run that from cron (with > /dev/null 2>&1 at the end of it)
every night if you want to be really lazy. [ and that assumes that
there would never be _any_ problems updating it automatically.
See Murphy's Law. ]

  Jason

SL/
---
Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services