[Mimedefang] Server load

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 10 21:52:02 EDT 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Brad Dameron wrote:

> Give me a few days. I'll let you know how it runs.

One important piece of advice:  If you're handling huge amounts of mail,
put the MIMEDefang spool directory (typically /var/spool/MIMEDefang)
on a ramdisk.  Otherwise, the I/O will kill you.  It's not so much a problem
with Linux, which is rather cavalier about committing writes to disk, but
it is a big problem with more conservative systems like Solaris.  Even
with Linux, I think a ramdisk can be a big win.

Once I/O is no longer a bottleneck, throw lots of CPU power and RAM
at the problem. :-)