[Mimedefang] Where can I send Spam that makes it through the system for analysis?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Oct 9 13:02:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Les Mikesell wrote:

> I can tell already that this is going to be a running battle.  I
> see things getting through that have obviously been crafted to
> pass SpamAssassin rules: free spelled fr33, most of the text in
> images, odd wording on the click-to-unsubscribe, etc.

Yes; it's an arms race.  I got one spam where the entire message
was a JPEG image.

Fortunately, most spammers are unsophisticated.

Unfortunately, a few are not, and they will download the latest SpamAssassin
and craft ways around it.

SA catches probably 95% of my spam.  Certain "hold" rules catch most
of the rest.  The odd one sneaks by; can't help that.

One possibly good (but very expensive!) test would be to look up each
word in the e-mail in a dictionary and assign a score to messages with
too many non-words.  This would catch deliberate mis-spellings,
things like "fr33", etc.  (Of course, it would be language-specific.)