[Mimedefang] generating virus email notifications (please don't do it!)

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed Oct 9 10:00:01 EDT 2002

Fact: bugbear forges sender addresses.

In the last few days I have been getting a LOT administrative email
sent to me claiming that "my email to <someone-I-don't-know> was
blocked because it contained the bugbear virus" (or similar).
(Perhaps two or three dozen so far).

No way... I never send the virus, nor any messages to any of the
supposed recipients.  Not unless there's a new linux variant :-)

More than half of these message originated from systems running
sendmail with mimedefang.  (The others were windows servers running
a symantec product, with a most un-informative techogobble message).

Can I ask (plead!!) that a general practice be adopted to simply
DROP virus-infected emails... generating these "notification"
messages to the supposed sender is acheiving nothing except wasting
bandwidth and confusing a lot of innocent people.

Thanks.

Cheers
Tony
(who is admittedly having a VeryStressfulDay:)