[Mimedefang] Integrating MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin under Sendmail

NFN Smith worldoff9908 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 13:21:01 EDT 2002

I'm in the process of implementing MIMEDefang to run SpamAssassin, running
MD as a sendmail milter process, and still learning how to get it all
running together.  Currently, I'm running sendmail 8.12.2, MIMEDefang 2.14
and SpamAssassin 2.20-1.

Where I am so far is that if I run SA directly (either from a command line)
or piping a message from my character-based UNIX mail client, I have SA's
configurations set so that SA inserts a report into the message, as well as
inserting "***** SPAM ******" into the subject line of messages that reach
the spam threshold (plus, of course, the X-Spam-Status headers being
inserted).  However, if I run SA through MD (as a sendmail milter), I'm
getting the report and X-Spam-Status, but not the subject line insertion.

The server I'm working on is a mail hub that has virtually no local users
(thus, for now, I'm not running the spamd daemon), and the majority of mail
clients in use are ones with limited rules-handling capacity.  Thus, for
this particular setup, it's important to get the subject line tag.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here...

Thanks in advance.

----