[Mimedefang] mimedefang process dies when system runs out of swap

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Oct 1 12:46:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk wrote:

> I've been load testing my system and have discovered that the mimedefang
> process dies when the system runs out of swap. (I have put my order in
> for more memory.) Is this a known problem?

It is OS-dependent.  Some versions of Linux have a very nasty habit of
killing random processes when memory gets scarce.  I'm not sure what Solaris
does.  And it might even be code in Sendmail's libmilter which terminates
when memory is tight, so it's extremely difficult to control what happens.

> Of course it would be desirable for it to continue running so that the
> system would recover after such a condition rather than having to
> restart mimedefang by hand. So I thought I'd have mimedefang dump a core
> and see what the stack was like.

I do not know why it isn't dumping core.  Solaris experts?