[Mimedefang] Size and scaling questions

Clayton, Nik [IT] nik.clayton at citigroup.com
Thu Nov 28 10:46:01 EST 2002

> > I work for a large company, who my mail admins are telling
> me that in order
> > to use Mimedefang and Spam Assassin we need to reconfigure
> our Mail Servers
> > (Sun, E450, 1GB RAM) to include a RAM Disk.
>
> This is always a good thing to do, especially on Solaris
> whose file systems
> are somewhat more conservative (i.e., safer) than Linux.
>
> You can mount /var/spool/MIMEDefang as a tmpfs file system.  Make
> sure you have enough RAM and swap space; someone else posted
> sizing tips.

Or just symlink /var/spool/MIMEDefang to somewhere that's already a
tmpfs filesystem (like, say, /tmp :-) ).

Broadly speaking, a 4GB 4CPU E420 with Sendmail, MIMEDefang, and
SpamAssassin will max out at around 5.5 messages a second.  By that
I mean that the load hits 32, which seems like a reasonable ceiling to
use.

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
  -- The 75 column-ometer
                                             Contributing to the heat death
Global Messaging, 120 Cheapside, x83331      of the universe since 1973.