[Mimedefang] Virus Handling

Rick Mallett rmallett at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Nov 27 11:57:01 EST 2002

Sorry, to ask this question again, but my previous message was
kind of wordy so I thought I'd try again and keep it simple.

I'm looking for advice on handling messages that contain a virus,
specifically whether to use action_discard or action_bounce in
mimedefang-filter. The documentation sez

  "action_bounce is not appropriate for use with viruses,"

yet the sample filter uses action_bounce in the virus detection
portion of routine "filter" as in

  action_bounce("Virus $VirusName found in mail - rejected");

and I I figured there might be good reason for this and I'm reluctant
to change it to action_discard in case something gets broken. Any
advice greatly appreciated.

- rick --