[Mimedefang] Size and scaling questions

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue Nov 26 19:08:00 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Raymond Smith wrote:

> I work for a large company, who my mail admins are telling me that in order
> to use Mimedefang and Spam Assassin we need to reconfigure our Mail Servers
> (Sun, E450, 1GB RAM) to include a RAM Disk.
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone on the mailing list who handles a large
> amount of email would offer me configuration tips.

   If you make your MIMEDefang spool dir a RAM disk, then the only things
created on it will be mail that is being processed.  So the largest disk
size you need is the maximum number of servers times the largest email you
can receive (assuming you have maxmessagesize defined in sendmail).  Say
you have 15 max servers and a max message size of 20 megs.  The largest
RAM disk you should need would be about 300 megs, and that is assuming
that 15 people would all be sending 20 meg attachments at once.

   HTH...

Jim