[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin 2.43

jmiller at purifieddata.net jmiller at purifieddata.net
Sat Nov 23 16:53:01 EST 2002

I'm not sure what version you're comparing it with, but the GA scoring run
over the spam/non-spam corpus changed significantly from the 2.3x's to
2.4x's, and significantly affected the scores output.

They now distribute the file Mail-SpamAssassin-2.xx/rules/STATISTICS.txt
with each release. It has stats info on how much spam/non-spam fell from
their corpus of mail fell into various score categories.

I asked the spamassassin people about this, and they said that the scores
can be expected to change with every release. There's absolutely no
guarentee that a "10" means the same thing from release to release.
BTW, I had to deal w/ this when I made our front-end. I ended up
developing a little algorithm to convert the STATISTICS.txt into score
ratios so that I could store user preferances in a 0-100 scale and have
them translate to the same results from spamassassin release to
spamassassin release.

Now when my mimedefang calls spamassassin and gets $hits, it then runs
some code on $hits to convert it to something comparable to the values in
my perferances database.

Dunno if it'll help any, but for 2.43 I used this:
my $SAlevel50 = 5;
my $SAlevel100 = 12;
my $ratio100 = (100/$SAlevel100);
my $ratio50 = (50/$SAlevel50);
my $leveldiff = ($SAlevel100 - $SAlevel50);
my $ratiodiff = ($ratio100 - $ratio50);
sub ConvertHits
{
    my $reportedlevel = shift;
    chomp($reportedlevel);
    my $thisratio = ( ($ratiodiff * ( ($reportedlevel - $SAlevel50) /
$leveldiff) ) + $ratio50);
    return ($reportedlevel >= $SAlevel100) ? 100 : ($reportedlevel *
$thisratio);
}

--
Josh I.