[Mimedefang] Bad Filenames Question

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 21 15:17:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rick Mallett wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why attachments with suggested filenames ending
> ".url" (eg. events.url) are considered a "security hazard"?

Bad filenames are in the eyes (OS?) of the beholder...

I don't use Windows, so I generated the list based on "street knowledge"
and contributions from others on this list.  Apparently, Microsoft has
a list of "dangerous" extensions somewhere; not sure where.

If it's a problem, then take out .url, but I'd do a Google search first.

P.S. Rick, I went to Carleton from '92 to '94, and spent most of my time
there writing Remind (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/remind/) in order to
avoid working on my thesis. :-)