[Mimedefang] strange sendmail error : SYSERR(defang): can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ansf.alcatel.fr
Wed Nov 20 10:00:01 EST 2002

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:20:36PM +0000, Scott.Larnach at ed.ac.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Stephane Lentz wrote:
>
> > on some test machine running MIMEDefang 2.23 that I'm preparing to
> > upgrade to 2.26  I'm seing some strange sendmail errors related to
> >  the defang account:
> >
> > Nov 20 11:58:31 mailgate sendmail[15033]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(defang): can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied
>
> Sendmail (8.12.6) wants to be setgid to the same group as owns
> /var/spool/clientmqueue:
>
> -r-xr-sr-x   1 root     smmsp     718428 Oct 22 17:17 /usr/lib/sendmail
> drwxrwx---   2 smmsp    smmsp        512 Nov 20 12:21 /var/spool/clientmqueue/

Well-spoted ! I did set the right ownership for sendmail but this machine is running
Mandrake 8.2 wich comes with a buggy msec (Mandrake security tools).
It automatically fixes ownerships based on some config files. Mandrake
guys believed that /usr/sbin/sendmail should be root.mail owned !
I corrected it on some machine in the past but didnd't recall this time.

Thanks Scott,

SL/
---
Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services