[Mimedefang] mimedefang/SA inserting blank header lines

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Mon Nov 18 16:57:02 EST 2002

	I'm having a very occasional problem with sendmail/md/sa
inserting lines consisting of one blankspace char into the headers of
an email; such messages are rejected occasionally by certain servers
on the basis that they may cause outlook to drop its trousers[1],
muttering something about a "blank folding" vulnerability.

	These lines seem to occur after the X-Spam-Report: lines, just
before X-Scanned-By. An example (with mangled addresses to protect my
users and their correspondents) can be seen at

http://www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/blankfold.txt

	(this is from a message that went through our server only once
-- I had the user send it to my home broadband account so I could
verify that the problem was occurring before the message hit the other
end.)

	Any ideas as to what might be causing this? This is MIMEDefang
2.19 and SA 2.31 with sendmail 8.12.6.

		Ole

[1]: One imagines that outlook's trouser-fastenings must be of the
	velcro-closure, quick-removal type...
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key