[Mimedefang] Milter happens before Aliases, right?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Nov 18 14:25:00 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Ian McDonald wrote:

> So that if I want /etc/aliases substitution to happen before my Milter
> processing, then I'm out of luck.

Well, sort of.  You could always run sendmail in "-bv" mode to do
alias expansion yourself.  How well this works depends on the permissions
on your aliases and other databases.  On a server with shell accounts,
it's not advisable to have them world-readable, and sendmail -bv will
fail for non-root.  If you don't allow shell access to your mail server,
it's safe to make all your map files world-readable, and you can use
the "sendmail -bv" trick.