[Mimedefang] action_defang circumvented by x-mac-type

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri Nov 15 20:08:01 EST 2002

I discovered something interesting today while testing code using
File::MMagic.  It turns out that Eudora for Windows will use Mac creator and
type information, both for sending and receiving.

I took a Word document and a Zip file, renamed them both to files with the
pattern "test.com blah.doc" and sent them to myself.  The idea was that
MMagic would determine if the file was really a Word document and I could
skip defanging it (although it turns out not to recognize Word 2000 files, so
it got defanged anyway).

The surprise was that the defanged files showed up in Eudora as Word
documents, despite the fact that I had not changed the call to action_defang.
They showed up in Eudora as defang-1.binary.doc and defang-2.binary.doc.  At
first I thought it wasn't defanging properly, and had left the MIME-type
unaltered.  Once I looked at the actual mailbox, I saw the following MIME
part header:

What I think happened is that when sending, Eudora added the x-mac-creator and
x-mac-type data to help with Macintosh recipients, and that when receiving,
it figured it was receiving from a Macintosh and added the file extension to
make the file readable.

Essentially, this is another way of specifying a file type - one which
action_defang currently does not disable.

Outlook Express seems to have disabled access to the attachments entirely, but
it does affect Eudora for Windows, and I would guess affects at least some
Macintosh clients as well.  Eudora may be more secure than OE, and there may
be fewer viruses for Mac, but it's at least something to consider.

--
Kelson Vibber
SpeedGate Communications, Technical Staff