[Mimedefang] Upgrading MIMEDefang

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Mon Nov 11 17:08:00 EST 2002

Stefan Schoeman wrote:
> Just wanted to make sure my procedure for upgrading MIMEDefang is correct:
> In a nutshell :
>
> 1 Ensure all required perl packages are updated and MIME-Tools patched.
> 2 Stop current MIMEDefanger and Sendmail
> 3 Download latest MIMEDefang, Compile and install.
> 4 Revisit mimedefang-filter.pl.
> 5 Restart MIMEDefang Multiplexor and sendmail.

Actually, you should be able to do 3 (and possibly 4) before 2, and
aside from a few incompatibilities (at least one of which was a method
of doing things that was Not Recommended) you should be able to use the
same mimedefang-filter.  You may not need to restart sendmail, either;
YMMV.

If it's a big jump, you may want to poke the new mimedefang-filter to
see what's there, and maybe transfer your modifications to it instead of
just using the old file.

Of course, for those of us who like keeping things tidy by using
packages, it gets a little messier.  <g>

-kgd, updating a production system from sendmail8.11.6+mimedefang-2.15
to sendmail8.12.6+mimedefang-2.25 Real Soon Now(TM)
--
Money is overrated.