[Mimedefang] Powerful anti-spam rule :-)

Dirk Mueller dmuell at gmx.net
Sun Nov 10 08:52:01 EST 2002

On Son, 10 Nov 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> This does not work, because Yahoo returns "250 recipient ok" no matter
> what address you put, as long as it ends in "@yahoo.com".  Try it.
> Yahoo does this to avoid dictionary attacks by spammers on Yahoo
> customers. :-)

True, it returns the error after the message body was sent :-(
this used to be different before. weird. I think many mailers don't deliver
empty messages, so sending a message with an empty body should work here
too.

Anyway, this rule still works with many other mailers. many spammers don't
waste their time on finding valid sender addresses, they just autogenerate
some random local parts of a given domain (and being admin of one of those
domains where thousands of bounces with forged sender addresses arrive I can
confirm that its a very annoying problem).

This rule is also deployed on many major sites, like e.g. but not limited to
lists.sourceforge.net.

--
Dirk (received 130 mails today)