[Mimedefang] Problem with MD 2.4 - too many open files?

Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za
Fri Nov 8 09:25:00 EST 2002

>> Running MD 2.4 on Solaris 8 SPARC with perl 5.004
>>
>> Started getting "Too many open files" error.
>
> Is that really MD 2.4? Or perhaps you meant 2.24?
>
> I don't specifically know about the errors you are getting but I suspect
> a perl upgrade would do you some good. I am successfully running:
>
>  Solaris 8
>  MIMEDefang 2.23 (compiled with gcc 2.8.1)
>  perl 5.6.1
>
>I seem to recall some problems trying to make it work with perl 5.004,
>but that was a while ago now.
>
> Scott Larnach, Edinburgh University

Sorry, typo using
     MIMEDefang 2.24 - just upgraded to 2.25
     Solaris 8 SPARC
     Sun supplied perl 5.005_03 (another typo)

I also had some perl issues with building some of the prerequisite packages
     h2ph was faulty - used a fixed version from a later perl release
     The Sun supplied perl was compiled by Sun using their compiler not gcc
     managed to get around that by changing optimization flags in Make
files.
     Also mimedefang.pl socket open has a "syntax" issue changed:
          my $sock = IO::Socket::UNIX->new($clamd_sock);
          my $sock = IO::Socket::UNIX->new(Peer=>$clamd_sock);

I've been contemplating upgrading perl - but mainly in the hope of
improving
performance (SpamAssassin really makes perl work!)

Is perl 5.8.0 faster than 5.005_3?

The "Too many open files" problem seems to be in the "mimdefang.c" milter.

mimedefang[11167]:[mail.warning] Could not create
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3DCA3219-0: Too many open files

I've used ulimit to increase the soft limit from 256 to 512 open files
not sure if this will fix the problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Alberto da Silva