[Mimedefang] mimedefang-multiplexor fails under load.

defang at mycrom.net defang at mycrom.net
Thu Nov 7 17:01:11 EST 2002

I seem to be having a problem with failures of mimedefang-multiplexor
under heavy traffic volume. Once the servers are doing past 100-120
message per minute it is just a matter or time before
mimedefang-multiplexor just goes away with no error message left behind
in the logs. I have spent the last three days working on the issue including
adding the flags to mimedefang-multiplexor for memory limitations,
removing the mime parsing in mimedefang.pl, raised the file-max to
a nice large number and removing all code from the filter subs so all
it has to do is go with the actions but do no work. Even with all of this
overhead being removed it may take a bit longer but mimedefang-multiplexor just
dies with no error under load.

My first thoughts were memory and CPU. They are dual P3 700's with 1G mem
and 2G swap. The system hardly ever needs to use any swap so I don't see lack
of memory as the problem. The system is busy but I never seem to do under
60% CPU free.

I would like to get this wonderful package working and stable but I am out of
ideas. Hopefully some of you have some ideas that I haven't thought of. I
really don't want to flat out write something from scratch to interface with
the sendmail Milter API.

The version I am currently running is 2.21. Is this a known problem that might
have been fixed by the current version just released?

Thanks,

-Matthew