[Mimedefang] Skipping Defang for Outgoing Messages

Anthony Slay anthony at ocga.ucsd.edu
Thu May 9 16:26:40 EDT 2002

At 03:52 PM 5/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 09 May 2002 11:40:23 -0700 Anthony Slay <anthony at ocga.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > My users are having the problem of waiting a minimum 4 seconds for an
> > outgoing mail to be sent off and to some of them, this is annoying.
>
>Are you using the multiplexor?  4 seconds is a long time.
>
>If you are *not* using the multiplexor, then nothing you do in your
>filter will help, because you still incur the startup time.
>
>If you *are* using the multiplexor, then checking the relay address
>and skipping complex checks (e.g. SpamAssassin) for internal hosts
>will speed things up.

Sorry all, I should have mentioned that I'm using a Sparcstation 10 running
at 99Mhz.  This system does just fine as an email server and would be hard
pressed to get another expensive sparc. (BTW: I just put an 18GB SCSI HD in
it.  The outdated directions said only 512MB and 1GB HD could only be used!)

>Another option is to run separate mail servers for incoming and outgoing
>messages.  The outgoing relay can just accept the message with no filtering
>and pass it on to the main relay.
>
>stream_by_domain is *not* the right tool for this job.

Ah!  A different outgoing SMTP server seems like an excellent idea.  I can
set that up easily.