[Mimedefang] opinions on this filter?

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Thu May 16 16:47:08 EDT 2002

At 03:19 PM 5/16/2002 -0400, Rich West wrote:
>The only remaining problem I can see, after looking it over carefully,
>is that if a virus has been found within a message, you are sending a
>message back to the original sender via action_notify_sender.  That in
>itself is not a problem because it is a good idea.

We're installing a new set of SMTP servers, and a new my-sql server.
The sql server will be to coordinate communication between the
multiple mimedefang.pl's running on the different machines.  The plan
is that we will try to notify the sender *once* about a particular virus.
I also want to automate sendmail and/or firewall blocks when a
machine is sending massive number of viruses.  This has happened
a couple times, and when it does all available mimedefang.pl processes
are busy, and connections start getting rejected.   (This happens most
often with machines running Mdaemon, which just doesn't seem
to understand that 550 means "no".)

Mike

Michael Sofka                          sofkam at rpi.edu
CCT Sr. Systems Programmer  email, webmail, listproc, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.    http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/