[Mimedefang] Strange virus scanning message?

Matt A. Gargett MGargett at comshare.com
Thu May 16 15:22:26 EDT 2002

I'm getting the following when a virus actually comes to my mail server:

May 16 15:14:32 inet-prime sendmail[17284]: g4GJENH8017284:
from=<removed at umich.edu>, size=54345, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<Pine.SOL.4.44.0205161515490.6427 at rastan.gpcc.itd.umich.edu>,
proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=aa-firewall.comshare.com [130.211.1.14]
May 16 15:14:35 inet-prime mimedefang[17285]: Error from multiplexor: ERR No
response from slave (premature death?)
May 16 15:14:35 inet-prime sendmail[17284]: g4GJENH8017284: Milter: data,
reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later

And I believe it then just drops the message completely.  I know that the
slaves are running okay for everything else.  I am running MIMEDefang 2.11
with Mcafee VirusScan.  However, it does scan files that do not contain
viruses and claims them as okay, and passes it on.  Any ideas?

- Matt

Here's my filter info below:

sub filter {
    my($entity, $fname, $ext, $type) = @_;
        my($code, $category, $action) = entity_contains_virus_nai($entity);
        action_add_header('X-Virus-Scanned', $fname ? "$fname: $action" :
            "Message: $action");

        $VirusScannerMessages =~ s/^\/var.*\n//g;
        $VirusScannerMessages =~ s/^\s+//;

        if ($action eq 'quarantine') {
        #    syslog(`err`, "Virus detected: $VirusScannerMessages");
            my $msg =
                "                    V I R U S   A L E R T\n\n" .
                "Our virus scanner found a VIRUS in your email to " .
                "@Recipients.\n\nWe advise you to check your computer for " .
                "viruses.  We recommend the\nlatest versions of the " .
                "following anti-virus software:\n\n" .
                "  Norton AntiVirus    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/\n" .
                "  McAfee VirusScan    http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/\n\n"
.
                "BE SURE TO UPDATE YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE WITH THE LATEST "
.
                "VIRUS\nDEFINITIONS.\n\nOur virus scanner found the " .
                "following virus:\n\n$VirusScannerMessages\n";
            if (open (IN, 'HEADERS')) {
                $msg .= "\n-----Original Message Headers-----\n";
                while () { $msg .= $_ }
                close(IN);