[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.12 Beta 1

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 15 14:12:42 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Justin King wrote:

> FYI, mimedefang can be run as a non-root user. I've been doing it since I
> started using mimedefang. Is this flag just to make things quicker to set
> up?

Yes, it's designed to make things easier on the administrator.  It's
nice to keep all the sockets for IPC in /var/run, and you (usually)
need to be root to do that.  So the -U flag lets you set up the
sockets as root, and then run as another user.

By the way, there is a minor bug in 2.12-BETA-1 in the drop_privs
routine.  I used the non-threadsafe getpwent() function.  This could
cause a race condition.  It's exceedingly unlikely to cause problems,
but I advise people to hold off on the 2.12 series on production
servers.  (The problem is fixed in my CVS version.)

Please test 2.12-BETA-1 on non-production servers if you have the
time/energy/capability, though. :-)