[Mimedefang] Another Feature Request

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu May 9 21:07:10 EDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002 17:40:19 -0700 (PDT) Anthony Slay
<anthony at ocga.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I, unfortunately, had to revert back to pre-mimedefang because I received
> some "451 4.7.1 Please try again later" messages that are kinda
> unacceptable when it comes to business here (bummer).  This happened
> about 3 or so times today for about a minute at a time.  Spawning too
> many slaves just works the cpu even harder.

Even with the latest beta, which tries to pace the spawning of slaves?

> Anyway, getting to he point, it would be nice if Mimedefang could be run
> on a different machine on the network so that machine "A" wanting to use
> mimedefang's filtering ability just has to correctly rebuild their
> sendmail configuration to use machine "B"'s running mimedefang processes.

In theory, it can be; you can supply a tcp connection for mimedefang's
"-p" flag.  Milter has some syntax for doing this:

        mimedefang -p inet:port at hostname

So if you want mimedefang to listen on port 9989, I think you do this:

        mimedefang -p inet:9989

In the Sendmail config file, the connection is

        Xmimedefang, S=inet:9989 at 192.168.3.12, ...

assuming Mimedefang is running on 192.168.3.12

mimedefang and mimedefang-multiplexor and all the slaves must run on
the same machine, but they can run on a different machine than sendmail.