[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin "yelling" rules don't work with MIMEdefang

Chris Myers chris at by-design.net
Thu May 2 08:51:19 EDT 2002

It looks like SpamAssassin 2.20 doesn't properly decode the body portion of
messages in RFC822 format (lines end with CRLF instead of the normal UNIX
CR-only).  I was testing things out by e-mailing myself the sample-spam.txt
message that comes with SpamAssassin (sendmail -f spammer at spam.com -i -v
myname at mydomain.com < sample-spam.txt) and for some reason compared the
X-Spam-Report against the output of spamassassin -t.  "Hmmm, they don't
match..."

I put some debugging code into SpamAssassin and it's not the
lines_of_yelling function that's the problem.  lines_of_yelling() is only
getting three lines in the @$body array: The Subject: line (???), a blank
line, and the whole body of the message concatenated as a single line.  This
makes it rather unlikely that lines_of_yelling will EVER return a non-zero
value.

The problem has been reported to the SpamAssassin folks, I just wanted to
make sure that no-one else ends up spending a few minutes/hours trying to
figure this out.  Besides, it's lowering the score on spam messages and I
haven't been able to beat 40.6 yet! ;-)

Chris Myers
Networks By Design