AW: [Mimedefang] Bug in action_notify_sender?

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Sat Mar 16 11:50:24 EST 2002

Hi David,

> action_notify_sender is probably not a good idea.  I may deprecate it
> in future.  Anyway, do check for "<>" for now.

I think action_notify_sender is actually quite a good idea, only its use needs a bit of thought: given the number of checks mimedefang can do, notify_sender definitely isn't a good idea in very case.

some examples where it makes sense to me:
	virus detected
	attachment removed because of file extension

Both are cases where the sender needs to to something to get the expected result (data sent to recipient) and where the required action is fairly obvious and easily explained in the notification.

Definitely not useful:
	SpamAssassin check positive (spam)
	suspicious characters
	empty sender address
	attachment defanged

Spam: I don't care for the sender and certainly don't want to do ANYTHING that might be considered helpful for him.
Suspicious characters: If triggered by a legitimate mail, the sender won't have any idea what's wrong and certainly won't know how to fix it anyway.
empty sender: obviously won't work.
attachment defanged: no action necessary on part of the sender, no need to know.

So: please leave notify sender as a valid/supported action.

Bye, Martin