[Mimedefang] Temp files not getting cleaned

Mark Roedel MarkRoedel at letu.edu
Fri Mar 15 16:30:18 EST 2002

Qdir-* would be your quarantine directories...those, as far as I've ever
been able to determine, are expected to be handled manually.  The
mdefang directories are MIMEDefang's work directories, and are supposed
to be cleaned up when the process that created them exits.  I do
occasionally see some still hanging around, though (maybe one every few
hours).  When I dug around through my logfiles a while back, it looked
like they were mostly occurring when the multiplexor had killed off a
child process due to a busy timeout.  I got rid of most of them by
tuning my multiplexor parameters, and haven't worried too much about
what's left.  According to the logs, the remote end was sent a tempfail
code in those cases anyway, so nothing should have gotten lost.

I've just got a couple of cronjobs set up that run hourly.  One removes
any mdefang* directory that's more than a couple of hours old.  The
other removes any qdir* that's more than two weeks old (I figure that
gives the recipient ample time to get ahold of me if they need the file
for some reason and aren't able to arrange any other way of getting it).

If you'd just as soon not have the qdir* directories at all, you might
consider replacing action_quarantine() in your filter script with
action_drop().

---
Mark Roedel           | "Blessed is he who has learned to laugh
Systems Programmer    |  at himself, for he shall never cease
LeTourneau University |  to be entertained."
Longview, Texas, USA  |                          -- John Powell