[Mimedefang] Date

Mark Roedel MarkRoedel at letu.edu
Fri Mar 15 11:57:17 EST 2002

I'd be concerned about doing anything too aggressive based on the date
header alone, just because I'd be paranoid about penalizing somebody for
having an incorrectly-set system clock (intentionally or otherwise).

Note, though, that if you're using SpamAssassin, it's already doing a
handful of sanity checks on the date header (including checking for
proper formatting, missing or nonsensical timezones, and dates in the
future).  Any one of the checks by itself wouldn't be enough for a
message to be tagged as spam, but chances are that those won't be the
only tests triggered by those messages.

And even if you'd rather not use SpamAssassin, it might be worth
downloading just to take a look at the check_for_forward_date() and
_parse_rfc822_date() routines.

But since we're talking about detecting spam anyway, I'd be inclined to
suggest that SpamAssassin is potentially worth looking into.  :)

---
Mark Roedel           | "There is only one truly satisfying way
Systems Programmer    |  to boot a computer."
LeTourneau University |
Longview, Texas  USA  |                         -- J.H.Goldfuss