[Mimedefang] URGENT: Correct comm.c patch now available.

Pekka Saari pekka.saari at sll.fi
Tue Mar 5 20:16:20 EST 2002

David wrote:
> The comm.c patch on my web site was broken. visit
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/ for a *correct* comm.c patch.

In general it might be a good idea to add some explanation
for any patch: what problem is it trying to fix etc...
So I try to sum this up (correct me if I'm wrong):

PROBLEM (as posted in this list 1.2.2002 by David)
   It is one possible cause of a 'try again later' message.  Basically, a
   bug in libmilter can (under exceptional circumstances) cause the
   milter to fall into an infinite loop.  I've never seen it under Linux
   or Solaris; the poster who had the problem seemed to be using another
   system (BSD? AIX?)

SOLUTION:
  patch sendmail-8.12.2/libmilter/comm.c with a file
  from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/

TYPO that was fixed:
  there was a typo at line 24 of the patch:
      - (data + i)
      + (buf + i)
  but that typo was fixed Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:38:41 -0500 (EST)
  so now the patch at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/
  is ok.

**

I'm still hesitating whether I should apply that patch or not...

I used to get "try again later" messages in RH-Linux with
earlier versions (SpamAssassin-2.01 + Anomy + MimeDefang-2.3)
under high load, but I got rid of 95% of them when I removed
spam_assassin_check from my /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter.

With the latest versions and filter-rules filtering seems
to work at the moment. After some hours (it's 3 AM here now) I will
see how my system operates in higher load - now there's just
few spam msgs trying to get in... and getting quarantined just
fine ;)

Pekka