[Mimedefang] microsoft newsletters are being filtered out

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Tue Jun 25 14:55:32 EDT 2002

> It seems that I'm filtering stuff that people actually want, like
> Microsoft Newsletters. The "results" I get are:
>
> IX-Spam-Score
> 20FROM_HAS_MIXED_NUMS,BE_AMAZED,TO_UNSUB_REPLY,CLICK_BELOW,MAILTO_WITH
> _SUBJ,UNSUB_PAGE,CLICK_HERE_LINK,MAILTO_LINK,SUPERLONG_LINE,CTYPE_JUST_HTML

I let the users' client do the filtering and simply put the score in the header.  If the newsletter consistently scores a 9, then the filer should look for a header with no more that 8 asterisks.  However, what I have found more useful is to include exceptions in the filter rule (except if from newsletter or except if subject contains Newsletter).  It's all rather subject on how you write the filter.

The more I deal with SPAM filtering the more I dislike it.  It's all a matter of looking for key words/phrases and it is easy to work around.  We can help our users by giving them less to have to look at but nothing we do will be totally foolproof.

Randy