[Mimedefang] mimedefang-multiplexor errors

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jun 24 13:14:10 EDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Dmitry Sorokin wrote:

> I have mimedefang and mimedefang-multiplexor running
> on FreeBSD-4.5 and I fount the following in my
> maillog:

> Jun 24 09:56:08 intellinetinc mimedefang-multiplexor:
> Slave 1 stderr: Out of memory!

> Jun 24 09:56:08 intellinetinc mimedefang-multiplexor:
> Slave ran out of memory -- possible DoS attack due to
> complex MIME?

I assume you're using the -R and/or -M flags to mimedefang-multiplexor.
You can try increasing the limits.  Also, use the "-k" flag with
mimedefang to keep failed messages from being deleted -- that may
help diagnose the problem.

It could really be an overly-complex MIME message which causes MIME::Tools
to consume an unreasonable amount of memory.

> Jun 24 09:56:12 intellinetinc mimedefang-multiplexor:
> Slave 1 stderr: Ambiguous call resolved as
> CORE::unpack(), qualify as such or use & at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Unicode/String.pm
> line 325.

Those messages, I think, are just noise from a slightly buggy Perl
installation.