[Mimedefang] A little confusered

Weyland nw2linux at varangiankindred.org
Fri Jun 21 09:30:51 EDT 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 03:01 pm, Rich West spake:

> Since your problem is specifically with SPAM, you might want to start by
> debugging your SpamAssassin installation to insure that it works.  If
> you pull down the Spamassassin source, there are two sample messages
> which will definitely be picked up as spam.  Try using the test
> procedure that they outline in their README file to test spamassassin.
>
> Once you are sure that Spamassassin is doing what it is supposed to be
> doing, then you can safely start testing MimeDefang+Spamassassin.

If this is better suited to a spamassassin list (of which I'm sure
there's *got* to be one) let me know, and I'll take it there -

First, I'm starting to learn the importance of
creating and using /usr/src/whatever directories.
I put the source of spamassassin in one, and rebuilt it.
Opened up the readme, and followed the instructions.
Here's the result -

[root at MAILBOX Mail-SpamAssassin-2.20]# spamassassin -t < sample-spam.txt >
spam.out
Created user preferences file: /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs

That doesn't look right to me? It doesn't
seem that it is what I was supposed to get.

Am I right?

Also, just in case it's important, I'm using RedHat 7.2 with
sendmail 8.12.4, and all the packages listed in the HOWTO by Mickey.

Thanks,

Weyland

P.S. - If anyone's willing to let me chew on their ear,
I can call, or give you an 800 number to call here.