[Mimedefang] A little confusered

Weyland nw2linux at varangiankindred.org
Fri Jun 21 08:44:10 EDT 2002

On Friday 21 June 2002 04:49 am, Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be spake:

> In your case, enjoy "Learning Perl" for a few weeks. Maybe you can borrow
> it somewhere.

I'd buy it just for reference material later.

> Perl is lot easier than bash.

Oh, okay, then this *will* be interesting...

> How did you manage to install MIMEDefang (and Sendmail) without as a
> novice ? Configuring Sendmail is a lot more complicated...

It wasn't easy.
I've spent a great deal of time reading, asking questions, and
generally just taking whacks at things until they work, or until
I can see how a change here makes a change there.

The people from a LUG list that I joined
have been *IMMENSELY* helpful as well.

It's taken some time, but I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty
comfortable setting up the sendmail .mc file, but don't dare ask
me about sendmail's rule sets.
As far as MIMEDefang and the rest, mickey Hill's
howto was simply excellent for the install.
Besides taking you through the steps, you could actually
get a feel of what is going on during the process if you tried.
I use Webmin a lot, as well (which helps a lot) but I
like the power and speed of the command line as well.

I've been spending close to 16-18 hours a day trying to
learn, and have built a few boxes at home to help me do this.
I'll be adding another this weekend, because it's
gotten to be something I'd like to pursue work in.
(I'm actually a Tool & Die maker by trade - Loooooong story)

Sorry to ramble, but thought it would give you a better
idea when I start to ask *REALLY* stupid questions...

Best,

Weyland