[Mimedefang] A little confusered

Weyland nw2linux at varangiankindred.org
Thu Jun 20 22:06:49 EDT 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 02:59 pm, you wrote:

> The default filter does not block spam.  It just tags a message with
> an X-Spam-Score header if it scores higher than 5.  Also, if you see
> an X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang header, then at least you know your
> messages are being scanned.

Okay, I went and looked into the headers, and don't see any
such headers as that. Matter of fact, no extra headers at all.

> > Crap.
> > No, I don't know Perl.
>
> Time to learn. :-)

Crap again.
Don't get me wrong, I want to learn Perl
anyway, I just didn't want to do it under duress.

Anyone have recommendations to aid me in the pursuit?

Books? Websites? People?

> > Still, it should be filtering *somewhat*, correct?
> > How could I check to see why it's not?
>
> Enable the "-l" option on the multiplexor and check your
> logs (probably /var/log/maillog).  Check for the presence of
> an X-Scanned-By: MIMEDefang header.

Dang.
Which file is the multiplexor?
I apologize if that sounds insanely ignorant, but I'm
starting to get really confused as to which file is what.
I've only been using Linux for a few months.
I scanned through the various fles I had printed out today,
but didn't see one referred to as the "multiplexor".
Little help?

Also, I noticed something in those mail logs that was warned about.

It warned that I was running MIMEDefang
as root (and thus sendmail I'd figure, right?).

How would one change that?

Thanks for any help.
I still find it somewhat amazing that I was able to get sendmail
functioning as smoothly as I have knowing as little as I do.

Best,

Weyland